This congress of IUSY was the last one for me. After two years of work within IUSY as coordinator for social movements and GPYF, the congress took a decision. The vote was clear. My organization and me do not share the same vision of a political youth movement with the majority of IUSY organizations (at least the ones that were at the congress). We fought since years for an international movement of young socialists more involved with the social movements, active within the social forum, with the trade unions, with the NGOs that have a real impact at the international level. We are not living in a bubble and our candidature was a clear message for a more open IUSY, open towards the international movement, towards a more active IUSY at the international level. It is what we tried to do in the past two years, with my involvement within the Decent Work - Decent Life campaign steering group, with the ITUC, with ActionAid on the fight against EPAs. We tried to develop concepts of actions and to give a real frame for action at the international level. But sometimes, the principle of political responsibility doesn’t seem to be the top priority of our movement. I don't have to hide what I did or what I did not in the past two years. It was the basis for future actions but the direction chosen by IUSY is the opposite one. Some will argue that they agree with us on this vision even though we disagreed on the vote. From our side, we never make a distinction between the political line and the strategic positions.
I am worried about an organization that cares more about its internal struggles and subtle balances than about the political goals we have outside the organization. IUSY can be much more than a playground for young leaders that want to practice their strategic skills.
I sincerely wish good luck to Jacinda Arden, the newly elected president. I wish all the best to Zita who is now responsible for social movements and GPYF, and to Kati as a feminist coordinator. I congratulate the newly elected presidium. All of them. Lots of them are friends. I am really happy for Judicael (Benin), for Silje (Norway), for Daniel (Chile), Uri (Israel), Pavel (Mexico) and some others. I'm sure they will make a great work within this presidium. I thank all the comrades with whom I have worked during these years of involvement at the international level. Don't worry, MJS France and its international team lead by Benoit Curinier will continue the fight for a certain vision of international activism. :-)
For me, I will continue my involvement at the international level through different ways, through the work of Fondation Jean Jaures and other think-tanks at the international level, through my work of development economist at university... I never saw the participation in the IUSY presidium as a goal as such, as an accomplishment to add one line to my CV. My organization and I wanted to bring something to IUSY. But it is still possible to be active and to make a difference outside of this international platform...
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
On comprend rien à ce que vous dites M Baziller,
Depuis que vous êtes Docteur, votre anglais devient trop littéraire.
Vous devriez écrire sur le blog intello http://www.eglantine.info
Je crois qu'ils vous attendent
Hello
As a comrade from Sweden who has heard very little about the IUSY congress could you speak a little more about the issues? Why did the congress vote not to work together with social movements? Sounds very weird to me. I do not have much insight into the IUSY, altough I did participate on the last congress.
A bit more explanation would be great since there is no information from either IUSY or my own organisation.
Post a Comment